- preparing for change
- such as environmental change, like sea level rise, social change, like an aging population, physical change, like urban growth, or economic change, like increased housing costs.
- supporting the character and culture of the community
- by promoting good urban design, a quality public realm and by keeping development consistent and complementary.
- protecting natural, special and sensitive areas
- by preventing or limiting development in certain areas
- maintaining a healthy, sustainable economy
- by ensuring there is a good balance and proximity between places of work and places to live
What is the purpose of an Official Plan?
An Official Plan is the long-term plan for how land is used and developed in the community. It seeks to balance the needs of people, the economy and the environment by addressing challenges, such as growth, housing and climate change. The new plan will also help to reinforce the city’s strengths and preserve the natural and historic assets.
Who is involved in the development of the Official Plan?
The Official Plan is being developed with consultant support from O2 (planning), UPLAND (planning and development), Insight Studio (marketing), Turner Drake (economics), CBCL (engineering) and Wendy Shearer Heritage Consultant (heritage).
A key component of the new plan is engagement with stakeholders, businesses, residents and City staff.
Why develop an Official Plan?
The Official Plan will be used to address challenges and reinforce the City’s strengths. It is a high-level policy document that defines the vision for land use and development in the city that will inform further secondary planning and the Zoning and Development Bylaw.
Official Plans are a requirement under the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and must align with the Planning Act.
How will the Official Plan benefit Charlottetown?
The Official Plan supports growth and development by:
How can I participate in the Official Plan?
Engagement for the Draft Official Plan opened on March 16th. During the engagement process, the City provided numerous opportunities to participate, including a Public Survey, Online Interactive Mapping Activity and Open Houses.
Stay tuned for further public engagement opportunities.
What is the difference between the Official Plan and the Strategic Plan?
The Strategic Plan is the City’s highest-level plan that highlights our shared vision and collective priorities. This plan is helps guide the overall corporate direction.
The Official Plan is a long-term plan for how land will be used and developed in the community. It will apply the Strategic Plan’s shared vision to Charlottetown’s physical form.
Both plans are developed with extensive community engagement and are part of the City’s corporate planning framework.